Om Yoga to Relax Your Mind and Body
Practice Om Yoga to Relax Your Mind and Body
Om is like a very simple sound but it has a complex meaning. The whole universe merged into a single world. It represents the union of mind, body, and spirit that is at the heart of yoga. It is an ancient mantra and basically practiced by Hinduism, and Buddhism. Om is usually chanted three times at the start and when a person finishes the yoga session. Om have three syllables like a, u, and m. The sound of Om contains the whole universe which is basically said in the Hindu tradition. It encompasses the present and the future. A person cannot exaggerate the power and importance of Om. It acts like a building block for the other mantras. It is connected to ajna chakras the third eye in the chakra system which represents self-knowledge and intuition.
In yoga, the chanting of Om at the beginning of a class, practitioners into the time and space that is about to be spent on the mat or while doing meditation. Chanting Om at the end of the class, it signifies that the physical practice has ended and it’s time to enter the society where the people live. It creates a sense of community or unites the people when a group of people chants together. The people are taught how to pronounce ‘Om’. To pronounce the Om a person should chant with a long O sound followed by a vibrating M but some other people prefer to separate the A and U sound. So, it sounds more like an ah-oo-mm. It is a sacred sound and also a spiritual symbol in Indian religions. It is the essence of consciousness, Atman, or ultimate reality. It is one of the most important spiritual symbols. Om, symbolically is the divine energy, sakti. It has three main characteristics like preservation, liberation, and creation. It had high spiritual and creative power. When a person pronounces the Om correctly a person can have high energy and can have inner peace.
There are many reasons why people chant Om while starting and also when the yoga class ends. Om helps a person to separate the time of practice from the rest of the everyday lives. It mainly signifies that the practice time is mostly a sacred time. In the sacred time, a person cares for themselves while also practicing mindfulness. It is basically the sound of the universe. It basically tunes a person in that sound and acknowledges the connection to everything in the whole universe while chanting it symbolically and physically.
When a person chants Om, it vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz which is found in all the things throughout nature. It provides a calming effect on the person’s body and the nervous system similar to the effects of meditation by the rhythmical pronunciation and the vibration of the sound Om. It also lowers blood pressure and increases the health of the heart. It connects a person in a deeper way by creating a spiritual bond to the practice which acts more than the physical asanas. Om and yoga cannot be separated from each other. The simple sound of Om has a very deeper meaning in it. Om raises the vibration and helps a person to connect with nature. By chanting Om, one can experience the union of mind, body, and soul which is a quintessence of yoga. Om should be chanted thrice before and after any yoga session.
There are many yoga asanas which really act beneficial to the body. They are Reverse Warrior Yoga Pose, Plank, Seated Twist Camel Pose, Seated Meditation, Savasana, Crow Pose, Shoulder Pose, Prayer Mudra Pose, and many more.
- Plank pose ( dandasana) – This is a type of asana which is straight and parallel to the ground. It is supported by the toes and the palms. The elbows should form a right angle. This asana acts as a support system to a body .i.e. to the spine. It is helpful in making the arms and legs strong. It strengthens the shoulders, arms, and also the back muscles. It also makes the core muscles strong.
- Seated twist (ardha matsyendrasana) – It is also known as half spinal twist pose and balasana. It is one of the basic poses of hatha yoga. It helps in the flexibility and functioning of the spines. It makes the body to decorate the essential hormones like adrenaline and bile. It makes the bold pure and improves blood circulation.
- Reverse warrior pose – This is a type of pose which requires a lot of concentration and also requires multitasking. It is like battling with oneself but it has many benefits like arms, back, and legs to strengthen it. It makes the body stable and helps to increase stamina. It helps in metabolism and releases stress.
- Camel pose ( ustrasana) – It is an intermediate level backward bend. It helps in boosting up the strength, flexibility and opens up the heart chakra. It involves the backbend. It should be practiced under supervision. It helps to open up the chest and provide relief to the back pain. It helps to improve body posture and digestion. It provides good massage to the internal organs. It makes the shoulder and back stronger.
- Seated meditation ( Om meditation) – It is also known as Om Yoga which is a combination of sound and breath. It is a mantra that helps to unite the mind, body, and spirit. It helps to connect the body with nature and provides mental and physical peace and calmness. It had healing power in itself. It helps a body to make it detoxify the impurities. It also helps the body to become physically and mentally strong.
- Savasana – It is a type of yoga pose that looks like a dead body. A person just needs to let themself loose and let go. People may think that it is very easy to do but in reality, it is one of the most difficult ones to do. People need to relax their minds, and bodies completely. There should not be any thoughts that would make them distract from the pose. It is practiced at the end of the exercise session. This pose helps people to be in a relaxing and calming mood. It also takes the body into a meditative state. It helps a person in boosting up the energy level and increasing productivity. This pose helps in increasing the concentration level and reducing anxiety. If the asana is done correctly then it can do miracles as it can control the blood pressure of a person.
- Crow pose – It is one of the most difficult and advanced poses in yogasana. It makes people feel light and joyful. This pose can generate a feeling of trust and happiness. It helps in strengthening the arms and wrists by doing the asanas regularly. It helps to tone the spines and stretches the upper back. It improves the focus and balances the body and mind. The digestion can be improved and also the abdominal organs can be strengthened. The overall confidence and strength can be improved.
- Shoulder pose – This pose is also called the mother of all the yoga asanas. It is the inversion pose in the base for all the other inversion poses. A person should be masters in this pose. So, a person can do more complex inversions. It has many benefits like it has a common cold, it reduces constipation. It helps to strengthen the heart and respiratory system. This yoga pose also helps to provide flexibility to the body.
- Prayer mudra ( anjali mudra) – This yoga pose has beauty in standing or lying down. A person should sit in a comfortable position and place. The eyes should be closed. It also helps to generate a feeling of respect towards other people. It also reduces stress and anxiety. A person who wants to be in a meditative state can do this yoga pose.
While chanting Om a person should first exhale completely. After that inhale deeply. Then slowly begin the chanting of the mantra Om till a person is able to breath last. Chant only that much as a person is comfortable with. The person can increase the length of the Om gradually and slowly with the practice. It can be chanted slowly. If a person wants to do a silent chanting then they should first breath deeply. Concentrate on the breath and begin chanting the mantra in mind without making the sound. Lips and mouth should not be moved while chanting. Thus should be repeated thrice. Slowly the chanting will disappear. It will provide inner peace and calmness throughout the body. Om Yoga is a beneficial yoga which is provided to the human. Research studies had also observed that the brain activity during the Om periods is similar to that when created by vagus nerve stimulation which helps in the treatment of depression and epilepsy. It has been concluded that Om helps in the improvement of a major depressive disorder. Many positive effects can also happen while chanting Om. The Om symbol has become an unofficial logo of yoga. It represents the four states of consciousness like deep sleep, dreaming, wakefulness, and samadhi which is also known as bliss.
The person should never underestimate the power of Om Yoga. It seems to be very simple but in reality, it is not. It is very powerful and one should practice it for spiritual upliftment. For experiencing oneness with nature one should practice Om Yoga. Yoga has been very beneficial for life. One should do yoga to have a peaceful life. Om Yoga is a sacred practice. The children should also be encouraged to practice this Om Yoga. So, they could have mindfulness and remain calm in tough situations. A person who wants to increase endurance and metabolism should do yoga.